Updated at 4.00pm on 16 March 2020.
Our teams are closely monitoring advice from the Australian Government as the Covid-19 situation continues to unfold and can advise that all of our facilities including our gym, pools, sports courts and child care currently remain open and available for you to enjoy!
While some people may be (understandably) nervous about visiting public venues, the Chief Medical Officer, Professor Brendan Murphy advised on Sunday that at this stage you can still go to the gym, encouraging people to be aware of maintaining good hygiene if they choose to do so.
“If you’re going to the gym, I would be very focused on hand washing, using hand sanitisers, all of those social distancing, good hygiene measures,” Professor Murphy said.
Various health authorities are also recommending that people continue normal preventive measures, which include eating a healthy diet and exercising regularly. Unless social distancing measures are implemented, getting a workout in your gym or participating in your regular morning swim is healthy and safe. Fortunately for us, there is no evidence showing that the virus is transmitted through sweat or pool water!
Given this advice, the Eltham Leisure Centre continues to operate as usual, and regular participation is encouraged.
As a further precaution we have taken the following steps;
- Installed updated signage throughout the facility to encourage good hygiene practices.
- Have asked our fitness teams to increase the frequency of sanitising all equipment.
- Worked with our cleaners to ensure they are using hospital-grade sanitisers and provide extra focus on touchpoints in addition to our standard cleaning schedule.
- Developed a specific infection control plan should this be needed.
When visiting, we ask that you continue to practice good hygiene and follow the recommended ways to reduce your risk of contracting coronavirus.
- Wash your hands often with soap and running water, for at least 20 seconds. Dry with a paper towel or hand dryer.
- Wipe down any equipment you use with the wipes provided. Please carry a towel when exercising.
- Try not to touch your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze; if you don’t have a tissue cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve or elbow.
- Isolate yourself at home if you feel sick.
- Phone your GP first if you need medical attention. They will tell you what to do.
- Continue healthy habits: exercise, drink water and get plenty of sleep.
We will update this article as information is made available.
You can find more information on the Department of Health website or call the Coronavirus Health Information Line 1800 020 080.
Information in this article has been sourced from the Australian Department of Health and the International Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA).